TAFT, Calif. — Authorities are looking for an escaped inmate.
Rogelio Pedraza Sosa was found missing from the Taft Community Correctional Facility during a Wednesday night head count.
Sosa, 37, began serving a four-year, eight-month sentence on Aug. 7 for transporting and importing controlled substances for sale…Sosa was scheduled to be released to parole in November 2011.
The escapee has prior drug convictions and has used aliases, including Martin Campos Rivas.
Sosa is 6-foot and 170 pounds with a medium build and a tattoo on the back of his neck that reads “Y-QUE,”…(Full text and video link at BakersfieldNow.com)
Kudos are due to whomever is responsible for the timely press release on Escapee Sosa. It is encouraging to see someone over at HQ still takes public safety seriously.
CONVERSELY, the persons responsible for DORC’s “California’s Most Wanted Parolees” have earned our contempt for the CONTINUING FAILURE to add homicidal stalker Edward Mark Olsen–The PAL tried to barbecue his ex-girlfriend and her son on Sunday. Apparently, absconding out of state disqualifies a PAL from grabbing the most wanted brass ring.
Further, several interesting contrasts exist between the two cases.
- Sosa, a non-violent, non-serious offender under the Governor’s new model, merits a press release and webspace.
- Olsen, a violent offender as defined by California Penal Code, does not.
- Sosa is wanted for escape without force: a middling felony,
- Olsen, in addition to being PAL, is wanted on 2 counts of attempted murder and other serious felonies.
- Sosa is under the jurisdiction of the Institutions Division which is not currently the laughingstock of public safety.
- Olsen falls under the domain of the Parole Division, the indisputable Dogberry (Barney Fife of the Elizabethan Era) of Public Safety.
Insofar as DAPO is the division stinking up the Ivory Tower these days, one might expect it to err on the side of public safety. On the other hand, it only takes a few hours before the average person’s sense of smell becomes numb to noxious odors. Perhaps SecrAttorney Cate’s insensitivity to the stench explains his inaction.
“Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my years? O that he were here to write me down an ass. But masters, remember that I am an ass: though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass…And Master, sir, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall assert, that I am an ass”
-Dogberry, Much ado about nothing.